ASIAN BRUSSELS SPROUT SLAW SALAD:
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Brussels sprouts
- 3 to 4 medium carrots
- ⅔ cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- ⅔ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves (optional), chopped
- ⅔ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or amino braggs
- pinch of salt
- To shred the sprouts: First, cut off the tough ends of the sprouts and any browning outer leaves. Then shred them in a food processor using the slicing blade, pressing the sprouts against the blade with the provided plastic pusher. If you don’t have a food processor, slice them as thinly as possible using a sharp chef’s knife, then give them a few extra chops for good measure. Transfer the sprouts to a large serving bowl.
- To prepare the carrots: Either use a julienne peeler, a chef’s knife, or the grating attachment of your food processor to slice the carrots into skinny little strips. Transfer the carrots to your serving bowl.
- To toast the almonds (optional but recommended): In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds, stirring often, until fragrant and turning golden on the edges, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the almonds to the serving bowl.
- Add the chopped green onions, cilantro (optional), quinoa and sesame seeds to the bowl. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey, coconut aminos and sea salt. Whisk until emulsified, then pour the dressing over the slaw. Toss well. For best flavor, let the salad marinate for 10 minutes or longer before serving.