Autumn is here and in full effect! I absolutely love the time of seasons when the trees and plants change into colors. October is the month of pumpkins and Halloween! Holidays are a great time to reconnect with family, friends and warming up next to the fire with cup of hot chocolate in your hands. Oh, the warmness! When the cold season starts it is time to bundle up, and I don’t mean scarfing down sweets or junk food. This is the time when a majority of people gain 5- 10 holiday pounds. That’s crazy! I want to share some key tips to stay active and healthy during the holidays!
1. Stay Active- Yes, I know. It’s cold out there, but do not let that stop you! Take a walk, jog or a morning run and observe the beautiful trees changing colors! Or simply, check out your neighborhood with fancy lights ;) This is also a great time to take a class you have been wanting to try such as yoga, cycle, Pilates, weight lifting etc.… Do not let the coldness get to you! Stay warm and sweat it off!
2. Change with the season- This is the time to take advantage of eating with the season. Your local’s farmers market always carries the freshest and affordable produce in town. Such as apples, pears, pumpkin, squashes, blackberries and beets. Yum! Go look at Pinterest to create some beautiful fall dishes. One of my favorite dishes to make is a roasted vegetable salad with a pomegranate vinaigrette.
3. Mindfulness - Minimize your portions, every family loves to cook abundantly to feed everyone for the holidays, so there are a lot of temptations to go overboard on our plates. Mindfulness of our plates starts with portions. Small portions or maybe a bite size or two so you can try a little bit of everything. Stick to the 90-10 rule. 90% healthy and 10% have fun!
4. De-Stress- Holidays can be a challenging time of year when the whole family is in town. Don’t worry, take time to prioritize your list. For an example, take 5 minutes of your day on Sunday and schedule what needs to be done for the week and also make time for yourself! Such as 5 min meditation every morning, a spa, yoga, reading a book whatever rocks your soul and soothes you.
5. If you are in it to win it- During the holidays, meal prep is key! Bust out the crockpots and start making warm soups, stews and slow cooked oats. Manage your time and prepare your lunches when you are at work or simply out and about.